Live: Was Malaysia jet’s path changed via computer?

0



malaysian-flightMalaysia missing jet plane latest updates, Malaysia missing jet flight Live updates

8.55 am: Malaysian PM calls up Manmohan Singh, provides new search coordinates

As the missing plane mystery deepens, Malaysian authorities are all set to provide Indian search teams with new coordinates to resume search. The Indian Express reports that Malaysian PM Najib Razak has called up Manmohan Singh and updated him about the new search plan.

8.50 am: Did missing Malaysian jet fly to Taliban-dominated territory?

According to a report in The Independent, the missing jet could have been flown to Taliban territory. Latest investigations have revealed that the last message that the air traffic controllers received from the plane’s cockpit, ‘All right, good night’, came after one of the communication systems had been switched off. However, how that leads to the conclusion that the plane might have been flown to Taliban territory is not clear.

7.30 am: Flight’s path might have been changed from computer system and not manually on the flight

Nine days after it went missing, the US investigators have suggested that the aircraft’s path might have been changed manually, but through a computer programme developed by someone who has intense knowledge about aircraft systems, reports New York Times.

NYT reports: “Instead of manually operating the plane’s controls, whoever altered Flight 370’s path typed seven or eight keystrokes into a computer on a knee-high pedestal between the captain and the first officer, according to officials. The Flight Management System, as the computer is known, directs the plane from point to point specified in the flight plan submitted before each flight. It is not clear whether the plane’s path was reprogrammed before or after it took off.”

This new development has strengthened the probe teams’ belief that the plane was deliberately diverted and they now plan to thoroughly investigate the captain and the first officer.

7:10 am:
US Navy ship drops out of search, returns to normal duties The US Navy ship that has been helping search for the missing Malaysian airliner is dropping out of the hunt, US military officials said on Monday. The Associated Press reported, that the USS Kidd, an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer that has been searching in the Indian Ocean, will return to its normal duties.

The decision was made in consultation with the government of Malaysia. A Pentagon spokesman said Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told Malaysian Minister of Defense Hishammuddin Tun Hussein on Monday evening that the United States is fully committed to working with Malaysia to locate the plane.

The Navy’s 7th Fleet determined that long-range naval aircraft are a more efficient means of looking for the plane or its debris, now that the search area has broadened into the southern Indian Ocean. Long-range Navy P-3 and P-8 surveillance aircraft remain involved in the search, Cmdr. William Marks, a spokesman for the 7th Fleet, said in an emailed statement.