Mumbai building collapse: 3 from family among 12 dead, many trapped; Maha govt to probe

0



Mumbai-building-collapseAt least 12 people were killed and 15 others injured after a ground plus six-storey Hussain building collapsed in South Mumbai on Thursday morning.

The incident took place at around 8:30 am in Bhendi Bazar area. At least 20 more people are feared to be trapped under the debris.

“Five male and two female are among those killed. Total 22 people are injured including two fire officers,” said police.

The building was 117-years-old and 12 families were residing in it. It also had six godowns on the ground floor

Search and rescue operations are underway with the help of local residents. Dog squad too is at the spot, however, narrow lanes are making rescue operation difficult.

A 45-member team of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is carrying out the rescue operation with the help of fire brigade personnel.

Meanwhile, BMC chief Ajoy Mehta also visited the accident site to take a stock of the situation.

Subhash Desai, who is the guardian minister for Mumbai announced that Maharashtra government will conduct an inquiry into the building collapse.

The injured people have been taken to JJ hospital and condition of five persons is critical. “The situation of two firemen and three patients is critical. Injured will also undergo CT-Scan and if required will be taken for Operation,” said JJ Dean T P Lahane.

As a precautionary measure, people residing in the adjacent buildings have been evacuated.

“Possibility of more people trapped as the incident took place in the morning and more people were inside the house,” said an official from NDRF.

Mumbai has received unprecedented rains in the last few days and it is suspected to have caused sufficient damage to the old and dilapidated buildings.

Last month, at least 17 people were killed after the four-storey Siddhi-Sai Cooperative Housing Society collapsed after the pillars of the building got weakened due to renovation of a nursing home located on its ground floor.

► First year B-com student of Burhani college, his mother and sister died. Father trapped under debris.

“Number of times we went to evacuate the building but people didn’t listen to us,” said spokesperson of Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust.

Maharashtra government to probe

A meeting would be held with Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis to chalk out an action plan to rehabilitate those living in dilapidated buildings.

“This particular building was already marked for redevelopment as it was dilapidated. A meeting will soon be held with the chief minister and an action plan will be prepared to rehabilitate those residing in such structures so that these incidents do not occur again,” Desai said.

Minister Subhash Desai on building collapse

“Our priority is to pull out at the earliest those trapped under the rubble of the dilapidated building,” said Maharashtra Industries Minister Subhash Desai, who is also the guardian minister for Mumbai.

“Once the rescue work gets over, the government will conduct a probe to ascertain the factors behind the building collapse. Strict action will be taken against those found guilty,” he told reporters.

Statement from Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust

All the necessary support from the trust and the disaster management teams including MCGM, Mumbai Police, BMC and MHADA is being mobilized towards ensuring the safety of all tenants in the affected area.

This ground+6 building housed a total of 13 tenants which included 12 residential and 1 commercial. Out of these, the trust had already shifted 7 families in 2013-14.

MHADA notices dated 28-03-2011 and 20-05-2011 declaring the building dilapidated were issued along with offer of transit accommodation to the remaining tenants and occupants.