Andhra Chicken Pickle
A hot and spicy chicken pickle from Andhra, normally people like to have this spicy pickle with hot steamed rice or with soft dosas.
- 1 kg chicken with bones, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/2 tbsps ginger garlic paste
- 1 1/2 tbsps red chilli pwd
- 1/2 tsp turmeric pwd
- juice of 3 lemons, heat for 3 mt and cool
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsps salt (adjust)
- 4 tbsps oil
Dry roast and make a powder:
- 3 tbsps coriander seeds/dhaniyalu
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds/khus-khus/ghasagasalu
- 1 1/2 tsps methi seeds/methulu/fenugreek seeds
- 6 cloves
- 2″ cinnamon stick
- 1 elaichi/cardamom
- 1 star anise
- pinch of methi seeds
- 30 fresh curry leaves
- 3-4 dry red chillis
- 15 cloves garlic, slightly crushed
- 3/4 cup oil
Andhra Chicken Pickle Making Procedure:
- 1 Dry roast all the spices individually over low heat and cool. Once cool, combine all the dry roasted ingredients and grind to a fine pwd.
- 2 Heat 4 tbsps oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add chicken, ginger garlic paste, red chilli pwd and salt and cook on high heat for 5 mts. Reduce heat to medium high and continue to cook till the oil separates and there is hardly any water content. This frying will take about 25 mts. This step is crucial to chicken pickle making. Keep stirring in between.
- 3 Heat 3/4 cup oil in another heavy bottomed vessel, add methi seeds, curry leaves, dry red chillis, crushed garlic and saute for a minute. Add the cooked chicken pieces along with any left over gravy and oil. Combine well. Add the ground spice pwd and combine well and cook on medium to high for 15-18 mts, stirring in between.
- 4 Add the cooled lemon juice and combine well and turn off heat. Cool and store in an airtight bottle and refrigerate.
Please Read Disclaimer